Diversity is a fact.
Equity is a choice.
Inclusion is an action.
Belonging is an outcome.
As the organization in Kentucky dedicated to advancing and empowering Kentucky's nonprofit sector and its leaders to strengthen our Commonwealth, KNN is committed to be a catalyst for transformation and a resource for nonprofit professionals and volunteers seeking to address racial equity and the impact it has on the work of nonprofits and those we serve. The goal of this work is to help organizations build on the core strengths of diversity, equity, and inclusion, making space for greater client trust and engagement; larger employee, board and volunteer pools; better collaboration and decision-making; and stronger results. KNN strives to engage nonprofits across Kentucky in strategies that will increase representation, access and inclusion for people of color. Our aim is to meet everyone wherever you are in your journey to address racial equity in your personal and organizational work.
To guide us in this work, KNN convened the Nonprofit Racial Equity Task Force in January 2021. We see an important opportunity to partner with nonprofits to address the racial inequities within and inherent in our sector. Under the expert guidance of our partners at the firm Decide Diversity, the Task Force conducted a comprehensive survey to collect Kentucky-specific data on the current state of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts in the nonprofit sector.
- Read the report: Racial Equity in Kentucky's Nonprofit Sector (published May 2021)
- Click to watch a recording of our Virtual Press Conference (May 6, 2021) - introducing the Nonprofit Racial Equity Task Force and providing a high-level view of the survey results.
- Click to watch a recording of our Let's Talk Equity call (May 6, 2021) - providing a deeper dive into the survey results and sharing details on the next steps.
KNN continues to provide resources to assist nonprofits on their racial equity and diversity strategies.
- On the first Thursday of each month, KNN hosts Let's Talk Equity calls at 2pm ET. Click to see our event calendar, and join us for our monthly Let's Talk Equity calls!
- *NEW* KNN offers free Peer Huddles for member organizations’ staff and board members to engage in deeper conversation and move toward action and implementation of key nonprofit management issues such as governance, volunteerism, and more. Using KNN’s Principles & Practices for Nonprofit Excellence in Kentucky tools as the basis for discussion, the Peer Huddles allow members to connect, share lessons learned, ask questions, and more - all under the guidance and with the support of a skilled facilitator. Click here for Peer Huddle information.
- We continue to curate racial equity resources, including recordings of our previous Let's Talk Equity calls. Click here to check them out.