SAVE THE DATE!
Nonprofit registration opens February 28.
In the meantime, here are two quick ways to get a head start on the registration process:
- ENSURE YOUR KNN MEMBERSHIP IS UP TO DATE! KY Gives Day registration is open to all 501(c)(3) nonprofits operating in Kentucky and is free to current members of Kentucky Nonprofit Network (membership must be active/paid as of 5/7/24). Now is a great time to renew your KNN membership if it expires prior to 5/7/24. If you are not a yet a member of KNN, we encourage you to join us. If you have any questions about becoming a member of Kentucky Nonprofit Network, please email@example.com. If you are not interested in joining your state association of nonprofits, you may still participate by paying a one-time Kentucky Gives Day 2024 registration fee ($350). In most cases, investing in a KNN membership is a better value than paying the one-time KY Gives Day registration, plus you can access other member benefits throughout the year.
- COMPLETE YOUR ANNUAL CHARITABLE SOLICITATION REGISTRATION WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE. To participate in Kentucky Gives Day, all nonprofits must be registered with the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General by April 15.
- Whether or not you participate in KY Gives Day, if you are soliciting funds in Kentucky, annual registration is required by Kentucky law. If you are actively raising funds in other states (and the definition of “actively raising funds” varies by state), you may also need to register in those states or modify your solicitation strategy in those states. Registration varies by state. Maintaining the public’s trust is important for the nonprofit sector. Fundraising registration is a simple process, it’s free, and again - it’s the law.
- To participate in KY Gives Day, all nonprofits must be registered with the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General and appear on THIS LIST by April 15 (firm deadline). The list is updated every Monday.
- Click here to locate your organization's name on the list of Current Nonprofit Entities Filing IRS Tax Form 990 with the Attorney General.
- If you are on the list, great! Take a screenshot showing your organization's name on the list, save it as a PDF, and hold onto it - you'll need it during KY Gives Day registration starting February 28.
- If you do not see your organization listed or have questions, click here to view the registration instructions and check out these additional resources on charitable solicitation registration (including a step-by-step guide) on KNN’s website.
- Remember - this is an annual registration. If you have appeared on the list in the past but are no longer on the list, you need to register again.
- If you mailed your registration information a while back and are not showing up on the list, send your information again. The Attorney General's office does not have the bandwidth to answer many individual calls or look for individual applications. So if you are not on the list, the best advice we can give you is to send it again as soon as possible, and keep an eye out for list updates every Monday.
- IF YOU ARE NOT ON THIS LIST, WE URGE YOU TO ACT QUICKLY. Charitable solicitation registration is handled via mail, and there can be delays. Allow plenty of time for your registration information to be mailed/delivered to the KY Office of the Attorney General, and then to be processed/added to the list. The list is updated every Monday.
- Does Your Nonprofit Need to Register? Likely, yes, but check out this one-page guide to be sure. And this webinar recording from our partners at Manley Burke has more information.
Follow KY Gives Day on Social Media: